"[The original Spartan-IIs] are a thing we’re fond of, and I, bluntly, don’t want to give away any big story spoilers for what we have planned for the historical Halo characters. But there are a lot of really interesting things related to your question that are going to become apparent in the next year or so." ~ Frankie
TELL ME, FRANKIE!
When the dude stood up to ask that question I was like BLESS YOU DUDE. Here’s hoping the big story plans they have for other Spartan-IIs will include game appearances, especially if this stuff is going to “become apparent in the next year or so”. Prayer circle for some Blue Team in H5G
Historical Halo characters:
- 343 Guilty Spark: Now revived as Chakas, his original personality, and has stolen an ONI vessel along with its crew now that he has tracked down the “elusive Lifeshaper” (under the impression it’s the Librarian, but the title of Lifeshaper was of course passed to Chant to Green, so he’s found the surviving Forerunners).
- Lord Hood: This man has been through some shit… Taken hostage by Scruggs, shot in the leg by Palmer, impaled through the stomach by the NCA/’Gajat’s glassing cannon when it struck Infinity. Things probably ain’t gonna get better for him from here!
- Catherine Halsey: Currently with Jul ‘Mdama, playing him like the fool he is. She’s already lost an arm (again, thanks Palmer… what is it with you and limbs?), she’s lost her daughter, most of her Spartans, pretty much all her support, but she is driven by her pursuit of knowledge. I wonder what kind of road this will take her down…
- Thel ‘Vadam: We’re getting lots of sexy story details on Arby! Halo 2 Anniversary’s Terminals and the MCC’s bookend cinematics with Locke should give us a pretty good idea of where Thel’s going. I still like to think of him as the Commander Shepard of the Halo universe, especially since Escalation describes him as “a symbol of what the galaxy could one day become”.
- Rtas ‘Vadum: Still shipmaster of Shadow of Intent, it would seem, since the vessel is still active in 2558 and is blowing up the things ONI is sending to routinely spy on its activities. Hoping for a return!
- Blue Team: Currently with John walking into the Ur-Didact’s trap! We know, based on the cover art, that a fight will ensue in the next issue, and Blue Team are on the cover of the issue following that so it seems that they may come out of this alive.
- Spirit of Fire crew: Ship is infested with Flood, or is undergoing the process of infestation, and the crew may or may not have managed to abandon ship.
- Gravemind: Will be returning soon enough to bring about humanity’s test for the Mantle.
Those are pretty much all the major historical characters who aren’t dead. It’d be horrifying (yet so awesome) if we saw apparitions of characters like Jacob Keyes appear before John as the Gravemind does its best to demoralise John, like it did in the Forerunner Saga to the Master Builder when it got the Ur-Didact to vividly describe what happened to his family, and to the Librarian when it sends down the forms of the Lord of Admirals and other ancient humans just as the Halos are fired.
You just know if Gravemind shows him Jacob Keyes it’s going to be this version: